You will be totally seduced by this region which has overcome so successfully the difficulties it has encountered during its history. Former industrial premises have been converted into museums ; the estaminets, little village cafés, have become leading centres of local gourmet, fare, and the old slag-heaps, now covered in luxuriant vegetation, welcome ramblers and cyclists. The Flanders Hills more and more amazing, the Regional Nature Parks increasingly lively and Greater Lille ever more dynamic. And as for guided tours, you will find the friendly people or the North proud to help you discover the delights of their department. Real France, Real Close www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wbpOGllwHw
- The LaM a new museum of the art of the 20th and 21th centuries, discover : a benchmark museum come to exhibiting three prestigious collections : modern art, contemporary art, outsiders art and a park of exceptional sculptures.(closed Monday)
- Parc Archeologique Asnapio : the 6 ha archaeological park with its life-size reconstruction, located in the natural zone of the Parc of Heron, relates the habitat evolution in the North of the France, from Neolithic to the late Middle Age (open from April to October)
- Musée des Moulins : discover 2 pivoting windmills in the only grinding complex still in operation today, a hydraulic tilt hammer, various mechanical components, and the windmill museum relating their technical history. (Closed Saturday, Sunday and August)
- Memorial d’Ascq :The museum collections pay tribute to the victims of the Ascq Massacre (April 1944) 86 people were shot to death by a SS convoy from the Russian front (open Wednesdays, Thursdays, Sundays and some public holidays, from 2 pm to 5:30 pm). www.shvam.asso.fr
- Museum of Fine Arts : Due to the size of its permanent collections, is considered to be one of the largest general-interest museum in France. Painting (Rubens, Goya, Delacroix…) sculptures (Bourdelle, Rodin, Carpeaux…) ceramics and relief maps or fortified towns are exposed. (closed Thuesday).
- The old Bourse (1652) in Flemish Renaissance style, is composed of 24 little houses leant against a corridor
- Hospice Comtesse Museum : The former hospital founded in 1237 by Jeanne de Flandres, displays works from Lille’s past : objects from the everyday life, wood sculptures, earthenware, furniture and painting (closed Thuesday)
- La Citadelle (1667-1670) : built by Vauban, hailed as a jewel of military architecture by Louis XIV whenever he visited the city. The 50 hectares of greenery is a reminder of the atmosphere of the public parks of a bygone age.
- La Piscine-André Diligent Museum of Art and Industry : Converted into a museum, this former Art Deco swimming pool houses superb collections of industrial applied arts and Fine Arts from the 19th and 20th centuries.(closed Monday)
- The Manufacture des Flandres is a textile museum and workshop dedicaced to the memory of the textile industry in Roubaix and surrounding area (closed Monday)
- The great classic Parc Barbieux, a listed national monument and the biggest urban park north of Paris
- And finding bargains : you’ll get a welcoming gift in the A l’Usine and Mc Arthur Glen discount centre.
- CROIX : la villa CAVROIS, chef d'oeuvre de Mallet-Stevens, 5 mn by car or 30 mn walking from our home, www.villa-cavrois.fr (closed Monday) https://youtu.be/Qw6lnOjbUrM
- TOURCOING : Museum of Fine-Arts, and l’Hospice d’Havré
- LE LOUVRE-LENS (30 mn by car) booking in advance on : www.louvrelens.fr (closed Thuesday) free entrance during 2020, exept the tempory exposition
- LEWARDE (45 mn by car) : The Mining History Centre, and ARRAS www.chm-lewarde.com
- CASSEL (45 mn by car) : the most beautiful village in France voted in 2018, Flanders Museum and « Ferme du Mont des Récollets » garden, voted Garden of the Year 2011 by the Guild of French Garden Writers
- BRUGES (45 mn by car) : the famous old town
- And la MER DU NORD, 1 hour by car (DUNKERQUE, MALO, OSTENDE, BRAY DUNES, LA PANNE)
For sports people
- GOLF de BRIGODE (3 kms), GOLF du SART (3 kms), GOLF de BONDUES (15 kms)
- PUBLIC SWIMMING POOL, centre nautique de Babylone (1 km)
- TENNIS du CHANTILLY (1 km)
- EQUESTRIAN CLUB of ROUBAIX (3 kms)
- Many HIKING TRAILS from the house or LILLE.
- le Stade Pierre Mauroy 50 000 seats.
Lille' events : www.lille.sortir.eu
And for business
- AUCHAN, centrale d’achat et centre de formation : 10 mn walking,
- CENTRES DE FORMATION : DECATHLON, EDF, LEROY MERLIN, CASTORAMA, CARSAT, UNIVERSITES… between 3 and 10 kms